Global Supply Chain & Procurement Transformation
An accomplished and commercial executive, Mathieu has deep expertise in Global Supply Chain Management, Strategy, Procurement, Business Transformation and Process Improvement with over 15 years in leading teams and projects across these segments. A strong and proven track record in delivering sustainable and commercial outcomes across large, complex organisations and diverse cultures compliance with industry, country and other regulatory frameworks.
Mathieu has led and delivered large scale projects in the Automotive, Property, Private Equity, Building Materials, FMCG, Metallurgy, Construction, Rail and Hydraulics sectors and for a range of companies, including Metcash, Caltex and Lendlease, Knauf Plasterboard and Dexion. Mathieu also has extensive international experience across France, Australia and APAC markets including Malaysia, China, Thailand, Japan, Vietnam, Korea and Taiwan. To complement his procurement and supply chain management expertise, he has additional expertise and highly regarded negotiation skills in buying commodities, industrial supplies, building materials, global freight forwarding and logistics as well as strategy planning and analysis. A deep understanding of global, local and industry regulatory frameworks has resulted in significant cost savings in process management systems, better governance systems and operational costs for his clients.
He thrives in challenging, commercial and dynamic environments where his energetic, focused and personable approach helps clients achieve their objectives. He is a resilient, experienced and influential negotiator who brings broad experience, strategic and commercial acumen, lateral thinking and excellent communication skills to develop sustainable relationships with key stakeholders and strategic partners.
Mathieu graduated with a Master of Engineering Sciences in 2004 and an MBA in 2005. He has been a Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) since 2019.
Founder & Managing Director
My focus is on Supply Chain and Procurement Transformation to help organizations quickly adapt and transform their procurement, supply chain, and overall cost management to meet radically changing business needs. Building on my deep expertise in this segment and client engagement capabilities, I have established a team of 3 to join me in helping businesses such as Private Equity partners, CEOs and business owners reduce their external spend either in pre/post-acquisition context or to remain cost-effective in their day to day operations
- Designed and implemented a 12 months Procurement transformation program for Questas, as part of the business being acquired by Private Equity firm Allegro: achieved annualised savings of $1.5M and in excess of 10% EBITDA, supporting the business to maintain employee levels and productivity during COVID19 Crisis. Key categories part of the optimisation program included: freight forwarding, international airfreight and steel.
- Designed and implemented a 9 months Procurement Transformation project for CFCLA, owned by Private Equity firm Anchorage Capital Partners: achieved annualised savings of c.a.: $1.5m via prioritising cost and efficiency savings across the key freight segments including locomotives, wagons and wheelsets repairs & maintenance services, wagons manufacturing, spare parts and oil & lubricants.
National Category & Supplier Relationship Manager
Accountable for delivering value and innovation across the supplier and category management functions, ensuring best practice category management, collaborative supplier management across 100 suppliers, and operational expenditure management. Managed internal and external stakeholders within matrixed reporting lines and had a direct team of 1 and multiple indirect reports. Lendlease is a global infrastructure, asset manager, and building company with 12,000 employees and 50,000 Subcontractors.
- Led National Maintenance Services review creating a 15% cost saving and better risk management, compliance across vendor and contract management. Identified future delivery models for Executive endorsement to deliver ongoing savings and management efficiencies.
- Reduced supply chain risks structural timber imports by re-negotiating global freight forwarding arrangements from Austria to Australia.
- As member of the Lendlease Property global strategy review, I identified a number of business improvement opportunities across the portfolio: business units’ alignment, expertise and experience sharing cross businesses, supply chain optimisation, supplier consolidations and relationship management.
Group Procurement Manager
Accountable for leading a team of 7 Procurement professionals and a budget of $200M across APAC to improve governance, cost management, procurement excellence by developing a holistic procurement strategy. Dexion is a leading global storage solutions provider, solving the materials handling challenges for their customers from office to the warehouse. They provide specialist solutions to support industrial, office, retail, health, education, security, art and artefacts, FMCG and distribution industries.
- Delivered $5.0M annualised cost reduction in FY17 by renegotiating and transforming key components of their systems in global sourcing, supplier relationship management, supplier performance management, the establishment of supplier panels and the introduction of open book pricing.
- Identified and implemented significant supply chain improvements by sourcing directly to Original Equipment Manufacturers and consolidation of local packers and distributors.
- Designed and implemented a transformation of the Group Procurement function including the development of a new functional vision and strategy, formal RFX processes, consistent supplier qualification assessment, standardised templates and created a contract database.
Senior Category Manager (ECMO)
Accountable for partnering with the ECMO (Engineering, Construction, Maintenance & Operations) function leaders to enhance procurement expertise across the group to realise cost and process efficiencies for an overall budget spend of ~$200M. Caltex is the leading transport fuel supplier and convenience retailer in Australia and is also the only integrated oil refining and marketing company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Improved access to high quality product, access to innovations, reduced friction and higher trust by building collaborative, sustainable partnerships between the business and suppliers via a supplier panel, resulting in a 2.6M cost savings for the business.
- Partnered with key stakeholders across the business to embed procurement expertise across the organization and exploit internal and external sources to recommend ‘fit for purpose’ solutions.
- Investigated and recommended alternative scaffolding system Ring Lock to standard Tube and Fit in order to improve labour productivity through reduced erection and dismantling time achieving a 30% Labour reduction of c.a. $1M per annum.
- Led a review of the Forklifts and Reach Trucks fleet (c.a.: 120 vehicles) which resulted in an expected benefit of 10% cost saving through greater utilisation rates, better alignment to business needs and leasing cost.
- Identified working capital savings opportunity that resulted in an initial saving $20M working capital and annual EBT benefit of up to $1M. This involved direct negotiations with major banks and the creation of a new platform for direct access to solution providers to increase transparency and management of the process.
Accountable for realising value through the development and implementation of sourcing and procurement strategies, tender system optimization, supplier relationships and identifying new product opportunities. Metcash is Australia’s leading wholesale distribution and marketing company specializing in grocery, fresh produce, liquor, hardware, automotive parts and other fast-moving consumer goods.
- Delivered significant projects across various categories resulting in an overall business saving of $79M across multiple divisions (freight forwarding: $30M, non-trade products: $10M, vegetables: $10M, processed meat: $7M, canned vegetables: $5M, electrical appliances: $5M, cleaning products: $4M, plasticwares: $3M, petfood: $3M, bakeries: $2M).
Accountable for market competitor insights, identifying market opportunities, financial evaluations and due diligence and maintain competitive and secure supply systems. With an annual turnover of more than more than €5 billion and a staff of 23,500, Knauf is the leader of the plasterboard and lightweight systems market operating more than 150 facilities in over 40 countries.
- Development of financial analysis and business plans to support investment decisions impacting business unit growth and development of ~$165M Capex spend over 3 years (examples include: capacity expansion: $12m (2011), cornice line development: $4m (2012), acquisition of a metal player: $25m (2012), board line extension: $24m (2013), new plant development: $100m (2013).
- Developed an Environment Rehabilitation Plan and a risk and Environment Management Plan for gypsum mining operations in SA and gypsum unloading at Glebe Island.
- Maintained the data room for the sale of Lafarge Plasterboard and provided PwC with materials to carry out a Vendor Due Diligence to attract better offers. The business was sold at a price close to 10 times the average 2009-2011 EBITDA.