Senior Strategy Consultant
Jake is a commercially focused strategy professional with over 6 years’ experience in developing strategic analysis and insights for senior stakeholders and delivering transformation and cost out programs. He has delivered work for a range of clients across a variety of industries including Mining, Utilities, Government and Education. His strengths include strategic thinking, analytical problem solving, senior stakeholder engagement and delivery and management of large scale transformation/cost out programs.
Currently Jake is working as an independent strategy consultant based out of Sydney, gaining opportunities through the Strategy Consultancies, both Experienced (Strategy&) and Boutique as well as freelance management consulting platforms for the past 3 years. Recent project experience includes business strategy, operating model review, strategic procurement, cost out transformation and org model review. Prior to his freelance career, Jake worked at PwC in their Management Consulting Strategy and Operations teams focused on corporate strategy, operating model design, business transformation, Project Management, and Finance Optimisation.
Outside of work, Jake previously captained the Claremont Football Club in the WAFL, giving him great exposure to leading a group of semi-professional athletes in a high pressure environment. As part of this role, Jake was able to work closely with the leadership consulting organisation Leading Teams, on an ongoing basis to develop personal leadership skills as well as team cultural change.
- Jake was engaged to lead a workstream to undertake an operating model review as part of a business-wide strategic transformation for a leading global mining company. Jake’s role involved leading a small team of associates with activities focused on supporting analysis, business case development, and implementation planning
- Engaged as a strategy lead to assist a major Australian retail groups supermarket strategy team, Jake’s project had a clear mandate to step-change customer experience in-store and transform the ways of working through an operating model redesign
- Worked as an internal consultant for the procurement function of a global mining leader, Jake assisted with the implementation of their transformation program designed by BCG, including the on and offshore organisational model deployment, post COVID top-down cost out analysis, and the development of performance improvement program for the functions future state
- As part of a small team, Jake led the analysis of a global FMCG clients underperforming Business segments and modelled three potential scenarios - including the sale, sale part of the business segment or continue and invest, and outlined his recommendation to the board for approval • Working directly with the CSO (Ex BCG) Jake was engaged to assist a global professional services firm to redesign their operating model & structure of their corporate support functions, in addition, help diagnose and design a A$6m annual cost out program for board approval
- Led the development of a Trade Maintenance Category Strategy at a global mining company using a topdown hypothesis-based approach to develop the problem statement and subsequent hypotheses. In addition, a detailed bottom-up internal and external analysis was completed including stakeholder interviews and workshops
- Part of a team that developed a 3-year strategic plan for a global infrastructure servicing organisation. Role included internal and external analysis and working with the business divisions to ensure alignment with the top-down strategic prioritise
- Worked with a division of a major infrastructure servicing organisation to develop a go-to market strategy and business case for entry to the Asian market, including the development of a project pipeline and deep dive on the recommended countries
- Assisted with market research and commercial due diligence on potential mergers and acquisitions for an internal strategy team of a global infrastructure servicing business
Strategy & Management Consultant
- Part of a team that successfully project managed the opening a major Perth Hospital. Role included leading the IT and FM work streams and developing automated works and defects reporting dashboard for senior stakeholders, as well as developing and owning the overall program dashboard and project plan
- Led the implementation of four work streams for a finance transformation at a state-owned utility. Role included developing a customer experience strategy through a voice of the customer assessment, managing the process owners to implement the co-designed initiatives, establish KPIs and a governance framework for the work streams to ensure the ongoing success and enable a culture of continuous improvement.
- Part of a team that completed the diagnostic and design phases for a finance transformation at a stateowned utility provider set to deliver A$10m in cost savings annually. Role involved leading four work streams through the process end to end, including conducting workshops on current pain points as well as To-Be design, developing the consolidated road map and gaining approval on the business case for change for the associated work streams
- Designed and developed a program of work for a teaching intensive higher education institution to transform its academic agenda. Role included comprehensive initiative development totalling A$30m of savings, and facilitation of an extensive consultation process with members of the Senior Executive Group
- Part of a team that completed an org model review for WA government organisation to ensure its future model was customer centric and fit for purpose. Role included stakeholder interviews and workshops, detailed analysis on the internal and external environment, and using a robust framework with design principles to understand the current state and changes required to meet the future state
- Part of a team that delivered a bankable implementation plan for A$450m in cost reduction benefits at a state-owned electricity transmission and distribution network provider. Role included supporting and coaching teams to develop and plan cost reduction initiatives and embedding an effective sustainable approach to track performance and realised benefits
- Supported the separation planning and potential disposal of Utah Point and Fremantle Port by the WA Department of Treasury, including presale optimization, separation planning and post-merger integration
- Helped revise and refresh an existing 5yr strategy for a major insurance company. Role included working closely with the project team to drive a bottom-up review of the firm strategy using the Argenti methodology, and assisting in the facilitation of three workshops that stepped the executive leadership team and Board through the process
- Helped design and develop an innovation framework for one of Australia's largest resource companies. Role included developing a pipeline of innovative initiatives and evaluating them through an assessment tool, which provided an overall rating and form of comparison In addition, a high level market scan of global universities, on their potential strategic alignment to further advance the company's innovation capabilities, was completed
- Supported a large Australian bank develop and refresh their 5 year growth and transformation strategy, helping them address scale and competitive positioning issues and successfully grow. Key initiatives focused on market positioning, performance improvement and digital transformation